Upgrading Vent Server to 4! Important!

Read-only forum with important information for visitors considering joining The Elders.

Moderators: Cara, Kinship Officers

Upgrading Vent Server to 4! Important!

Postby Cara » Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:50 pm

It is time to upgrade our vent to V4. It's been around 6 months, so teething problems should be resolved.

When we upgrade our Vent server, you will NOT be able to log in on Vent 3. You MUST upgrade your Vent client to version 4!

This will happen on Tuesday 6th March.

If you upgrade your Vent client before then, you will not be able to log on to the server.
If you haven't upgraded your client on 6th March, you will not be able to log on to the server.

I know you're all old and forgetful, but please try and get this straight in your mind! :lol:

AFAIK, none of the settings will change. But watch for panicky follow-up posts from me just in case.

Please pass the word to Kin Friends so they're ready too.
"A true gentleman is one who knows how to play the bagpipes, but doesn't."
-R. Acket

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cara (115 - raider) :min: ....................................... Carathiel (105) :lm:
Cararose (101) :hnt: ....................................... Caraleth (Mooser) :rk:
Cara
Kinship Leader

Re: Upgrading Vent Server to 4! Important!

Postby eregond » Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:16 pm

So when is the ideal time to upgrade it if u cant upgrade and log in before or after 6th of March?

Asking for a kin friend
:hnt: Eregond 115 t1 raidready :rk: Laroniel 115 t1 raidready :chn: 115 Laebon :beo: 115 Beargond
eregond

Postby Cara » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:19 pm

Well, there's no point at all in upgrading before 6th March if you want to log into The Elders' server because it won't be upgraded. So the answer must be: as soon as he is able after 6th March, and definitely before you join an Elders' group.

Other kins and groups have already upgraded. Depending who he plays with, that may be relevant too. We've been slow and cautious around it.
-R. Acket

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cara (115 - raider) :min: ....................................... Carathiel (105) :lm:
Cararose (101) :hnt: ....................................... Caraleth (Mooser) :rk:
Cara
Kinship Leader

Postby Cara » Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:49 pm

*really worried* So I've done it. And it was all dead easy. And Vent 4 imported my settings. And it was all dead easy. Even the voice-levelling settings were imported. And it all worked, no problems, no hiccups, just smooth.....
*really worried*

Anyway, you MUST now upgrade to Vent 4 if you want to use Vent.

And ....errmmm... maybe it'll be dead easy... :shock:
-R. Acket

Cara
Kinship Leader

Postby Tombpyre » Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:41 pm

Yay, vent 4.01 and my sounds work :D. Jedy said my voice was like thunder - all is good:)
Flame of Udun

:hnt: Toronduil 115 t2 115 ready
:cpt: Aicanaro 115 t2 115 ready
:lm: Tombpyre 79 Questing

As angry as a dwarf with a yoyo

All crafts at max (except farming) - Stack of Mules lvl 15-114 (can be activated if any needs help on particular levels).

House at 4 Twinfall path, Lothrellant.

If you build a man a fire, he is warm for one day. If you set a man on fire, he is warm for the rest of his life.
Tombpyre

Postby Jedy » Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:48 pm

It's different.
I hate different.
Managed to almost mute Tom.
Life is good.
BROUGHT BACK ORANGE!!!

Light Brigade; "Life is like shit. It does not just happen - it takes time and effort. And no, diarrhea is not the solution. "

:grd: 120 - Jedy - "Some people come to a party naked, expecting to be accepted and embraced, cause we love one another. Well, Dwarfs don’t do love."
:rk: 120 Hotar - "Hard rains are gonna fall."
:hnt: 115 - Idariel - "Old people should be killed. Preemptively. In the cradles."
:cpt: 115 Besbe - "Frustra vivit, qui nemini prodest."
:min: 115 - Guardiana - "Why heal if you can kill?"

The Slave Code.
When our ambition is bounded, it leads us to work joyfully.
When our ambition is unbounded, it leads us to lie, to cheat, to hurt others.
When our fears are bounded, we're prudent, we're cautious, we're thoughtful.
When our fears are unbounded and overblown, we're reckless and cowardly.
Our bounds make us free.
Jedy
Cuddly Snuggly Dwarf

Postby Flintori » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:24 pm

What have you done with the vent log on details sticky thread you diabolical tyrant!
Raiding:
Flintori :min: Level 120
Liana :hnt: Level 120
Arriana :grd: Level 120

Questing:
Rohanwen :cpt: Level 105
Flintori

Postby Cara » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:32 pm

Nothing at all you massive muppet! It's still in Kinship Announcements, like it always was....
-R. Acket

Cara
Kinship Leader

Postby Amaradel » Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:43 pm

What is Vent? I have lived without vent up to now. Shall I continue to live without vent or do I need it, or not yet?
Amaredel :hnt: Brhami :min: Besteiros :beo: Gemozac :chn:
Theoya :cpt: Maeroval :rk:
Amaradel

Postby Flintori » Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:25 pm

Vent is our (voice) chat server. It's not compulsory (unless you're raiding with us) but... it's nice to chat!
Raiding:
Flintori :min: Level 120
Liana :hnt: Level 120
Arriana :grd: Level 120

Questing:
Rohanwen :cpt: Level 105
Flintori

Postby Dolgolleth » Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:42 pm

I tried, I really tried, but I couldn't figure out how to upgrade. But as I'm not joining in at the moment it doesn't matter too much.
RAID STATUS: probably my Captain, but they were always willing and ready to take one for the team if the cause was just.
(although, to be sure, 5h1t happens)
~~~
Indigofera, female Hobbit Hunter: 20/02/16-, Historian/Scholar, level 30;
Rhodolite, female Hobbit Minstrel: 20/02/16-, Explorer/Tailor, (Blessing of the Valar Upgrade to 95 due to boredom 31/05/16), level 105;
Orthoclase, female Hobbit Guardian: 16/11/15-, Armourer/Metalsmith, "Wartroll mooser", level 31 and back on the stone;
Norndottir, female Beorning: 20/02/16-, Woodsperson/Woodworker, (Blessing of the Valar Upgrade to 95 due to boredom 31/05/16), level 105;
Morwalda, female Captain: 20/02/16-, Armourer/Metalsmith; Blessing of the Valar Upgrade to 95 by mistake 19/03/16 - level 105 now;
Agalind, female Human Burglar: 20/02/16-, Explorer/Tailor, (Blessing of the Valar Upgrade to 95 due to boredom 02/12/16), level 96;
Idhressel, female Human Lore-Master: 20/02/16-, Historian/Scholar, (Blessing of the Valar Upgrade to 95 due to boredom 02/12/16), level 96;
Dolgolleth, female Elven Champion: 03/03/15-03/10/15 & 5/10/15-, Tinker/Jeweller, (Blessing of the Valar Upgrade to 95 due to boredom 02/12/16), level 95;
Engolleth, female Elven Warden: 01/11/15-, Woodsperson/Woodworker, (Blessing of the Valar Upgrade to 95 due to boredom 31/05/16), level 105;
Nargolleth, female Elven Rune-Keeper: 24/10/15-, Explorer/Tailor, (Blessing of the Valar Upgrade to 95 due to boredom 02/12/16), level 96;

Notes:
01.) Don't use someone else's crafting facility, you'll be teased about it for ages;
02.) Do as I say not as I do, then you might not promote the wrong alt;
03.) If you can't take a comment don't make a comment;
04.) Big signatures take up a lot of message space in the forums;
05.) be mindful of your kinfolk, you never know when they'll be made Officers;
06.) the world is full of people who think they are, or know better than, you - just keep doing the right thing and let them wallow in their surquedry;
07.) in life, try and resist the common urge to be like the rest of the sheeple who follow the lowest common denominator - do the best you can and you'll get on fine;
08.) if people can ask the question rather than think for themselves then they will, so there's no point getting frustrated about it - none of this "teach a man to fish" nonsense in the 21st century;
09.) Be careful of hurting others' feelings when you make an attempt at humour;
10.) Ain't nobody got time for that;
Dolgolleth

Postby Cara » Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:51 pm

Dolgolleth wrote:I tried, I really tried, but I couldn't figure out how to upgrade. But as I'm not joining in at the moment it doesn't matter too much.

Search Google for Ventrilo 4
Download
Install
Put in Vent settings as per Kinship Announcements sticky

Uninstall Vent 3 if you have it. It's no use to you any more...

:)
-R. Acket

Cara
Kinship Leader

Postby Jedy » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:07 pm

Cara wrote:
Dolgolleth wrote:I tried, I really tried, but I couldn't figure out how to upgrade. But as I'm not joining in at the moment it doesn't matter too much.

Download
Install
Put in Vent settings as per Kinship Announcements sticky

Uninstall Vent 3 if you have it. It's no use to you any more...

:)

Download
Install
Use old Vent 3 settings. (Answer YES to the question, Do you want to use...)

Don't uninstall Vent 3 until all is fine and dandy.

P.S. Beware - the sound is MUCH stronger than in Vent 3!
BROUGHT BACK ORANGE!!!

Light Brigade; "Life is like shit. It does not just happen - it takes time and effort. And no, diarrhea is not the solution. "

:grd: 120 - Jedy - "Some people come to a party naked, expecting to be accepted and embraced, cause we love one another. Well, Dwarfs don’t do love."
:rk: 120 Hotar - "Hard rains are gonna fall."
:hnt: 115 - Idariel - "Old people should be killed. Preemptively. In the cradles."
:cpt: 115 Besbe - "Frustra vivit, qui nemini prodest."
:min: 115 - Guardiana - "Why heal if you can kill?"

The Slave Code.
When our ambition is bounded, it leads us to work joyfully.
When our ambition is unbounded, it leads us to lie, to cheat, to hurt others.
When our fears are bounded, we're prudent, we're cautious, we're thoughtful.
When our fears are unbounded and overblown, we're reckless and cowardly.
Our bounds make us free.
Jedy
Cuddly Snuggly Dwarf

Postby Dolgolleth » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:44 pm

cheers folks. Silly me was looking for an "upgrade button" option...
RAID STATUS: probably my Captain, but they were always willing and ready to take one for the team if the cause was just.
(although, to be sure, 5h1t happens)
~~~
Indigofera, female Hobbit Hunter: 20/02/16-, Historian/Scholar, level 30;
Rhodolite, female Hobbit Minstrel: 20/02/16-, Explorer/Tailor, (Blessing of the Valar Upgrade to 95 due to boredom 31/05/16), level 105;
Orthoclase, female Hobbit Guardian: 16/11/15-, Armourer/Metalsmith, "Wartroll mooser", level 31 and back on the stone;
Norndottir, female Beorning: 20/02/16-, Woodsperson/Woodworker, (Blessing of the Valar Upgrade to 95 due to boredom 31/05/16), level 105;
Morwalda, female Captain: 20/02/16-, Armourer/Metalsmith; Blessing of the Valar Upgrade to 95 by mistake 19/03/16 - level 105 now;
Agalind, female Human Burglar: 20/02/16-, Explorer/Tailor, (Blessing of the Valar Upgrade to 95 due to boredom 02/12/16), level 96;
Idhressel, female Human Lore-Master: 20/02/16-, Historian/Scholar, (Blessing of the Valar Upgrade to 95 due to boredom 02/12/16), level 96;
Dolgolleth, female Elven Champion: 03/03/15-03/10/15 & 5/10/15-, Tinker/Jeweller, (Blessing of the Valar Upgrade to 95 due to boredom 02/12/16), level 95;
Engolleth, female Elven Warden: 01/11/15-, Woodsperson/Woodworker, (Blessing of the Valar Upgrade to 95 due to boredom 31/05/16), level 105;
Nargolleth, female Elven Rune-Keeper: 24/10/15-, Explorer/Tailor, (Blessing of the Valar Upgrade to 95 due to boredom 02/12/16), level 96;

Notes:
01.) Don't use someone else's crafting facility, you'll be teased about it for ages;
02.) Do as I say not as I do, then you might not promote the wrong alt;
03.) If you can't take a comment don't make a comment;
04.) Big signatures take up a lot of message space in the forums;
05.) be mindful of your kinfolk, you never know when they'll be made Officers;
06.) the world is full of people who think they are, or know better than, you - just keep doing the right thing and let them wallow in their surquedry;
07.) in life, try and resist the common urge to be like the rest of the sheeple who follow the lowest common denominator - do the best you can and you'll get on fine;
08.) if people can ask the question rather than think for themselves then they will, so there's no point getting frustrated about it - none of this "teach a man to fish" nonsense in the 21st century;
09.) Be careful of hurting others' feelings when you make an attempt at humour;
10.) Ain't nobody got time for that;
Dolgolleth

Return to Public Announcements