Application from Silivrenor

Applications for membership of The Elders kinship on Laurelin.

Moderators: Cara, Kinmeet Moderators, Kinship Officers

Application from Silivrenor

Postby Silivrenor » Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:47 pm

About me (in real-life):

Name: Thomas (Tom)
Nationality: British
Tell us a bit about yourself:
So, disclaimer. I'm writing this application during a time when I probably shouldn't be. I'm a few days away from the final exam of my Postgraduate Diploma at BSMS, and it's proving to be a wonderfully therapeutic distraction. Don't worry, I'll get right back to that endless stack of books once I'm finished writing here. I just couldn't resist getting the ball rolling.

I'm (still) a University Student of sorts, if hopefully not for very much longer, and looking to start a career in healthcare. I know that's likely to involve some unpredictable working hours (and therefore unpredictable not-working hours). In my free time, I enjoy board games, video games and tabletop games. In fact, it was the recent acquisition of the board game War of the Ring that reminded me of a love for Tolkein's creation, too long forgotten.

I can't claim to know very much about sports, music or popular culture, although I'm pretty good at taking a polite interest in other people's passions - I honestly enjoy hearing about people, so feel free to share!

What is your previous LoTRO experience (including previous kinships)?:
I've recently returned to LoTRO after a long... long break. I might not be very old, but I started playing the game before launch, and subsequently for a year or two before drifting away after the kinship I'd been a part of since shortly after launch (Company of the Black Thorn) wound down. During that time in my life, the kinship experience was a huge part of the game for me, and I've not made many attempts to return as a result, as when I have, I've found the experience a little too lonely (I blame myself for not actively looking for companions).

So I think it's fair to say that my up-to-date understanding of the game is completely lacking, but I do have one high-level (okay, it was high once upon a time... 73, I think) man burglar. Trying to figure out how to play him again did give me a headache, so I started something new, a high elf captain (who I'm applying with), and I've been having an absolutely wonderful time with them.

Why do you want to join The Elders?
I know that I might struggle with times, as I'm starting a new career path IRL. I'm also determined to get back out there, get to know some people, and enjoy the relationships this game has a habit of creating. From what I've read, this kinship sounds like exactly the sort of place that I might get that. Ultimately, I just want a fun, social experience of the game as I slowly climb my way back up towards the finish line (how many times have they moved it!?)

What do you plan to do with your time (e.g. raiding, levelling, questing)?
I'm looking to enjoy everything the game can offer, but I suspect my primary goal to begin with is levelling. I'll do that mostly via questing, but I'm keen to try out any of the group activities the game offers as well. I may be suffering with rose-tinted glasses, but I can't remember a game where I had more fun in group activities. I certainly loved opening up conjunctions on my burglar, if that's even still a thing!
I am also a role-player - or at least I was. It isn't something I'm planning on seriously exploring, not so much as to look for a kin that caters to it directly (I love it, I'm just not convinced I'll have the time). Most of the time I'm happy to play the game out-of-character though (I just struggle not to at least walk past or avoid role-players, rather than charge past on my merry questing way!).

About your LOTRO character:

Name: Silivrenor of Beleriand
Class: :cpt:
Level: 17
Trade skills: Historian (Scholar/Farmer/Weaponsmith)

I hope to hear from you soon!
Silivrenor

Re: Application from Silivrenor

Postby Cara » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:49 pm

Welcome Thomas! As you say, you're young (in Elders' terms, that is) but you're old enough, so it's no problem. :) So if you can stand hanging out with a bunch of grumpy old sods (who, to be fair, are often very funny. Well we think so anyway :lol:) you're very welcome indeed to give us a go!

Standard blurb: You'll be a Recruit for 21 days while we get to know each other and during that time you can only have your main in the kin (it's easier to get to know someone before they devolve into hundreds of different alts. :)) Once you're all settled, we do expect Members not to have characters in different kinships (we can't stalk you, so this is just on your honour!) There are a number of exceptions. It's absolutely fine to have your own personal kinship, as we know some people like to own kinhouses and so on. We're also ok with you having an alt in a kin for something we're not really able to provide - such as an RP or PvP kin - but please do talk to me or an Officer about it. You'll find us very understanding. :P
"A true gentleman is one who knows how to play the bagpipes, but doesn't."
-R. Acket

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cara (105 - raider) :min: ....................................... Carawen (85) :cpt:
Cararose (100) :hnt: ....................................... Caraleth (Mooser) :rk:
Cara
Kinship Leader

Postby Lucyhobbit » Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:07 am

Silivrenor wrote:So I think it's fair to say that my up-to-date understanding of the game is completely lacking,

:lol: Yup, you'll fit in perfectly! Welcome to the madhouse kin :tea:
Lucyanna Blossom - Diva of Destruction (tank)

Roselle (hunter) Briarose (mini) Roseraen (champ) Rosepetal (captain)

For when I'm not squishing orcsies, Lucy's Day job ... http://www.lucyblossomcrafts.co.uk
Lucyhobbit
Squirrel-Bane
Squirrel-Bane

Postby Saeldireth » Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:03 pm

OOOH!!!

Another 20 something! I'm excited! Welcome! :D :D
:hnt: Saeldireth, Yeoman
:grd: Silidago, Scholar
:min: Sinawyn, Explorer
Saeldireth

Postby Jedy » Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:24 pm

Saeldireth wrote:OOOH!!!

Soon we'll have a kindergarten branch...

I still think we should stick to the geriatric ward....
BROUGHT BACK ORANGE!!!

Light Brigade; "Life is like shit. It does not just happen - it takes time and effort. And no, diarrhea is not the solution. "

:grd: 115 - Jedy - "Some people come to a party naked, expecting to be accepted and embraced, cause we love one another. Well, Dwarfs don’t do love."
:hnt: 115 - Idariel - "Old people should be killed. Preemptively. In the cradles."
:cpt: 115 Besbe - "Frustra vivit, qui nemini prodest."
:min: 115 - Guardiana - "Why heal if you can kill?"
:rk: 115 Hotar - "Hard rains are gonna fall."

The Slave Code.
When our ambition is bounded, it leads us to work joyfully.
When our ambition is unbounded, it leads us to lie, to cheat, to hurt others.
When our fears are bounded, we're prudent, we're cautious, we're thoughtful.
When our fears are unbounded and overblown, we're reckless and cowardly.
Our bounds make us free.
Jedy
Cuddly Snuggly Dwarf

Postby Silivrenor » Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:06 pm

Thank-you for your kind welcome! I'm busy all weekend with that old revising chestnut, but hoping to pop on sometime in the new week.

OOOH!!!

Hurrah - we can talk about... whatever it is the youth talk about! (If you know, please tell me - I'm so out of touch...)

I still think we should stick to the geriatric ward....

Well, my field is Geriatrics... maybe I'm just here for research purposes!
Silivrenor

Postby Flintori » Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:25 am

Welcome Silivrenor! Look forward to seeing you in-game, Flint :)
Raiding:
Flintori :min: Level 115
Liana :hnt: Level 115

Questing:
Arriana :grd: Level 115
Rohanwen :cpt: Level 105
Flintori

Return to Membership Applications